Day In a Page
Monday, 25 February 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
UK RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Former Catholic archbishop says Cardinals will have to address child abuse scandals at meeting to elect Pope
- Cardinal Keith O'Brien departs with an apology but no admission as Pope forces him out over allegations of inappropriate behaviour
- Not even Sir Ranulph can beat frostbite: Fiennes pulls out of Antarctic challenge
- Cilmber dies after Ben Nevis fall
- Family of radical preacher Abu Qatada wins injunction preventing protests outside their home
- Family killed in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at caravan site 'died quickly'
- Britain's loss of prized AAA credit rating hits sterling
- Pregnant asylum-seekers ‘at risk’ of developing mental and physical health problems
- Family of Second World War hero Bransome Burbridge forced to sell-off his medals to pay for care home costs
- Ikea withdraws meatballs from sale after inspectors find traces of horsemeat
- Almost 90% of British public cannot name their local police and crime commissioner
- Postgraduate studies will be ‘domain of the wealthy’
- Lib Dems hit new poll low as Rennard faces police probe
- 'We screwed up': Lib Dems confront growing scandal as Nick Clegg admits he DID know of sex claims against Lord Rennard
- Labour to join Tories in backing a £25bn deal to renew Trident fleet
- 'We were called Rennard's red hot babes'
- Osborne sticks to deficit plan as angry MPs give him a downgrade
- West Coast rail fiasco 'will cost taxpayers £50m'
- Scotland Yard steps in as party insider insists hierarchy knew about Rennard claims for years
- 'Special relationship' with US may still need a bit of work, as John Kerry jets in as new US Secretary of State
- Video: 'Great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies!' - Boris Johnson's parting shot at London Assembly members after they vote NOT to grill him over budget cuts
- Cabinet ordered to 'double' efforts to kickstart growth
- Minister urges smoke-free driving on 'child-welfare' grounds
- Tony Blair admits Iraq still faces 'long, hard struggle'
- Libel law reform Bill thrown into doubt
- UK business fears over Kenya vote
- Rennard affair: Who knew what? Five unanswered questions for Nick Clegg
- The Sketch: A distinct shortage of AAA metaphors as George Osborne still blames Labour for economic woes
- Romanian PM: 'We will not rush to Britain'
- Video: Nick Clegg determined to act on Lord Rennard claims
- Female judge Constance Briscoe investigated over leaking Chris Huhne case, court told
- Police failed to investigate alleged rapist who went on to kill his children
- Two arrested over Naomi Oni acid attack, as police investigate claims the Victoria’s Secret shop assistant may have deliberately harmed herself
- Alexander Litvinenko murder: Government accused of cover-up
- Drug dealer Kevin Hutchinson-Foster jailed for supplying gun to Mark Duggan before death that sparked London riots
- Tamara Ecclestone's ex-boyfriend Derek Rose jailed for four years for £200,000 blackmail
- Independent challenges secrecy at inquest into death of former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko
- Care worker 'spat in OAP's face', court hears
- Attorney General in contempt move over images purporting to show Bulger killers
- Former boyfriend of Tamara Ecclestone found guilty of £200,000 blackmail
- Vicky Pryce retrial judge tells new jury that 'the slate is wiped clean' following previous failure to reach a verdict
- Man who murdered Irish vet Catherine Gowing jailed for life
- 'Cynical and vicious': Tamara Ecclestone's ex gets four years for blackmail
- Three boys guilty of homeless man's murder
- Sex crime: Yard attacked over failures in serial offender probe, with officers later promoted to top jobs
- 'Alleged members of trafficking ring took 12-year-old girl to sex party to be raped by up to nine men at a time'
World RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Crisis trails in Silvio Berlusconi’s wake after inconclusive election result
- John Kerry's Berlin visit is a chance to reminisce... and look ahead
- Chechen despot Ramzan Kadyrov greets new best friend Gérard Depardieu with pies, songs and dance
- Firefight with prison guards foils convicted murderer's dramatic helicopter escape from jail
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn fails to halt 'Beast' book
- FTSE 100 down as protest vote leaves hopes of stable Italian government fading
- Inside the world’s most spectacular polling station: The Sistine Chapel prepares for election of new pope
- Putin signs law banning smoking in public places
- Benedict XVI to keep 'pope' title and wear white after his retirement
- 'Never give up': Afghan teenager who had nose and ears cut off by abusive husband reveals new life and new face
- A world wide web of communication - but Yahoo! tells its staff to get back in the office
- 'Cannibal cop' discussed how to murder then roast wife with online chat group
- No one is safe from Argentina's drug war
- A controversial appointment: Outspoken former Republican senator Chuck Hagel to be sworn in as US Defence Secretary
- Miguel Diaz-Canel: Castro's chosen successor is integral figure in Cuban party machine but can he win over man in street?
- For the first time since 1959, Cuba faces life after Castro
- Vast collection of gold coins worth millions discovered in dead man's Nevada home
- He's not dead! World's most dangerous fugitive was NOT killed in Guatemalan jungle shootout
- US newsreader asks Mo Farah: 'Haven't you run before...?'
- Powers set to offer Iran sanctions relief at nuclear talks
- Gaza militants 'fire rocket into Israel'
- Rebels reject Syrian regime’s offer of talks until Assad goes
- Tense West Bank funeral for ‘hero’ who died in Israeli jail
- Anti-protest: Bahrain bans import of plastic Guy Fawkes masks
- Israel's Defence Ministry tests anti-missile system
- UK accused of deporting Tamils despite threat of rape and torture
- Dennis Rodman, the unlikely new ambassador for sports diplomacy, arrives in North Korea
- Love's labour: the complete works of Shakespeare now available in Punjabi
- Inauguration style: Psy – and warning from the North – greet Park Geun-hye as South Korea’s first female President
- Tax evasion, bribery and price-fixing: How Samsung became the giant that ate Korea
- Nepalese woman mountaineer recognised for climbing Everest twice in same season
- Why South Africa's top murder expert will not be involved in Oscar Pistorius case: she is his aunt
- Four radicals arrested as police hunt for known assassin of Chokri Belaid
- I can't believe this has happened again, says UK victim injured in previous Luxor balloon crash
- If Raila Odinga wins Kenya's elections, Britain's interests are secure, but if Uhuru Kenyatta wins...
- Oscar Pistorius reports to Pretoria police station as part of bail conditions
- Oscar Pistorius holds private memorial service for Reeva Steenkamp
- Opposition to boycott Egyptian elections
Business RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Are your savings under threat? Bank of England mulls negative interest rates
- Italy fears spark a shares sell-off
- Black cab maker to take on 100 staff and restart output under new Chinese owner
- Thorntons bites back at critics of slow closures pace
- Record profits but Domino's sales flounder in snow
- Reckitt Benckiser hurt as rivals steal heroin march
- Sterling slips in response to Britain’s AAA downgrade
- Waitrose climbs on board 'drive through' grocery bandwagon
- Stop ministers seeing official stats early – MPs
- Fifth of British public are failing to save any money
- First witness testifies in BP oil spill trial
- Bank's Governor says QE should not be seen as provocative
- Whitbread calls for new approach to food supply
- Not bad for a year's work: Hedge fund top five pocket more than $1bn each
- Welcome to Britain: Overseas visitors go shopping to the tune of £4.5bn in a year
- PPI mis-selling complaints at Lloyds total 1.4 million
- Barclays to reveal that it employs more than 600 millionaires
- Q&A: So what is a 'negative interest rate?'
- Pay freezes and frozen streets hurts grocery sales
- New turmoil in eurozone sparks worldwide sell-off
- Builders bullish after boost from Bank lending scheme
- Ofcom clips BT's wings as it proposes tough regulations for high-speed data
- Soaring Primark sales lift profits at ABF
- Money mattered more to BP than the people who died, Deepwater Horizon spill trial told
- Pearson to swing the jobs axe after plunge in profits
- City refuses to panic over the loss of UK's AAA credit rating
- What the Sunday papers said
- RBS to offload US banking business
- Weak three months for services firms, says CBI
- Cost cut pay off at RSM Tenon
- City banking woes prompt Robert Walters to diversify
- Goals fails to run up a high profit score
- St Modwen raises £49m to bankroll plans for market facelift
- CRH chief executive set to step down
- Profit on cards for Provident Financial
- Founder closes the door on taking Redrow private
- US rebound drives profits at GKN
- Tesco dairy fixing fine is cut to £6.5m
- High street suffers a triple blow
- Croda lifted by personal care
- Hiscox bows out on a high note
- Activist poised to take over as governor of BoJ
- Online chiefs neglected
- Blizzards 'hobble mortgages drive'
- Markets set for sterling sell-off after AAA setback for Britain
- James Moore: There's nothing pretty about the pay squeeze, but it can't go on for ever
- Satyajit Das: Over-rated - court case will not fix core problem with ratings agencies
- James Moore: Like it or not, legal loan shark's time has come
- James Moore: It's not just the weather that's making homebuyers batten down the hatches
- Marketing and Branding: Dulux got its brush strokes just right
- James Moore: A crop of problems if AgriBank were to go pop
People RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Science RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Media RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Education RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Pupils face literary diet of 'dead white men'
- Tory ex-minister, Tim Loughton, turns his sights on Michael Gove's adviser
- Oxford twice as likely to give top spaces to whites
- Head and five teachers suspended at Blackpool school over responses to 'challenging behaviour'
- Blackpool primary school 'locked up' pupil
- Heads 'fail to tackle sexual exploitation'
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- How did modern Islam become so intolerant?
- Discarding Trident would not aid global nuclear disarmament; it would only imperil UK security
- Negative interest rates mean more pain for savers
- When even Yahoo!'s Marissa Mayer wants workers in the office, is the homeworking revolution over?
- Pack off Nick Clegg and send for Vince! Only a total Cleggectomy can save the Lib Dems now
- Don’t let the developers take your last civil right – the right to light
- Derek Rose's attempt to blackmail ex-girlfriend Tamara Ecclestone is the work of a scumbag, but should it be illegal?
- Arts and culture matter - yes, even in a recession
- Rape is a Western problem too - and it will be as long as male power comes at the expense of women
- Why don't more women blow the whistle on sexual harassment in the office? Because typically this results in blowing one's career too
- The Page 3 debate continues - and I'm not done yet
- Blue badge holders and the finger wagging brigade
- First Aid education could save thousands of lives a year, so why isn't it on the curriculum?
- Luxor hot air balloon crash: How tourism has changed in Egypt
- The car's no longer the star for a mobile generation
- Silvio Berlusconi has actually talked some sense – but he terrifies the markets
- Cardinal Keith O'Brien has been sacked by the Pope, rather than left to retire
- Like the soon-to-be carpenter Daniel Day-Lewis, all Oscar winners should go off and do something else
- Why is free admission to art galleries and museums sacrosanct, when free swimming is not?
- The Lord Rennard scandal marks the moment the Lib Dems discovered they are on the big stage
- The real scandal behind horsemeat is the struggle of smallholding British farmers
- Me and my police commissioner - whoever that might be - could both learn something about democracy from the ancient Greeks
- If you ask me...Nick Clegg is the master of U-turns, so let's spare a thought for his poor wife Miriam
- Virginia Ironside's Dilemmas: Book Club Blues
- To make freelancing safer, young foreign journalists need more support and less sneering
- In Holland, university is a reward for hard work - why do British students think so differently?
- Why Google Glass leaves me feeling half-empty
- The risks are huge, but freelance war correspondents shouldn't be shunned for having the courage to take them
- Would re-electing Silvio Berlusconi be good for Italy?
- Will Owen Jones end up in parliament?
- How to stop the Harlem Shake (or bring it back to its roots)
- Poll: After his third Oscar win, is Daniel Day-Lewis the greatest actor of all time?
- Poll: Did The Onion take it too far in their tweet about Oscar nominee Quvenzhane Wallis?
- 6 Great Gifs from the 2013 Oscars Ceremony
- Why was everyone so angry at Oscars 2013?
- Editorial: The fine line between justice and a witch-hunt
- Editorial: Italy shows how the tide has turned against elites
- Editorial: George Osborne's wake-up call
- Editorial: More rape questions for the Met
- Editorial: An orderly changing of the guard in Cuba
- Editorial: Ever wondered about moving to Wales?
- Editorial: Just when the Lib Dems looked set for victory...
- Editorial: Time running out for talks with Iran
- Editorial: All aboard for the Red Planet...
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Tom Maynard was 'habitual cocaine user', batsman's inquest hears
- It's a compliment to be known as England's Aussie, says Joe Root
- And now for the Tests: Six questions about England's series in New Zealand
- England hand Nick Compton the chance to cement place as Ashes opener
- James Lawton: Terrible tragedy should act as a wake-up call for English cricket
- India seal dominant victory over Australia
- Buttler has served up a problem for Giles
- Round-up: Abbott helps South Africa rout Pakistan in Test series
- India take series lead over Australia
More Sports RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Basketball: Showtime or bust for the leaky LA Lakers
- Cycling: Shane Sutton predicts Team GB destined for 'greatness' at Rio 2016 Olympics
- Snooker: Ronnie O'Sullivan's back – after a few hours' practice with a delivery driver
- Snooker: Ronnie O'Sullivan will return to defend world title
- Matt Butler: On your bike, Jonathan – studio tactics are all wrong
- Angling: Fishing for a doping scandal
Football RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- BT continues to challenge BSkyB for sports rights by acquiring ESPN channels
- The Debate: Who is the player of the season so far?
- Upton Park unites in tribute to Bobby Moore, a true legend of game
- Sam Wallace: Andy Carroll should accept that he and West Ham are a perfect marriage
- Third company officially licensed by Fifa to provide goal-line technology system
- Diego Maradona determined to clear name over £32m tax bill
- Matt Smith: The brains behind Oldham's FA Cup cup shocks
- James Lawton: Gifted and grounded, let’s hope great Dane Michael Laudrup lingers a little longer in the Swansea valleys
- Luton appoint John Still as manager
- Diego Maradona: I'm no tax fraud
- In Brief: Fresh start for Jose Bosingwa at QPR; Sammy Ameobi joins Middlesbrough on loan
- Match Report: West Ham 2 Tottenham 3
- Gareth Bale has 'deflated' Arsenal, says his Tottenham team-mate Scott Parker
- 'Unbelievable' Gareth Bale places Manchester City in Tottenham's sights
- Rafael Benitez confident of Chelsea players' backing despite training ground 'bust-up'
- Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic insists stop-start return from injury is 'normal procedure'
- Fears grow that Arsenal wage bill is creeping close to £150m mark
- Raheem Sterling is suffering from burn-out, admits Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers
- Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker left upset by West Ham boo-boys
- Jose Reina insists relationship with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is 'very good'
- Arsenal players must fight for Arsene Wenger, says Theo Walcott
- FA to investigate after Liverpool v Manchester United under-21 match is marred by unrest
- Stoke defender Robert Huth charged with violent conduct following incident against Fulham
- Paul Lambert confident Aston Villa will survive threat of Premier League relegation
- Ben Foster insists West Brom will not coast after reaching 40-point mark
- Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood promises team will be strengthened
- Joe Hart insists Manchester City will not give up in title race
- Aston Villa relaxed over future of Andreas Weimann
- Premier League: West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur match preview
- Papiss Cisse delighted to end four-game spell without scoring as wonder goal inspires Newcastle
- Gary Cahill believes 'ridiculous' fixture list is endangering Chelsea's hopes of qualifying for Champions League
- West Ham fans warned over racist chanting, ahead of match against Tottenham Hotspur
- Rafael hails 'unbelievable' Ryan Giggs after Manchester United legend scores in 999th appearance
- Michael Carrick is thankful for Paul Scholes' presence at Manchester United
- Roberto Mancini promises Manchester City will not give up Premier League title hunt
- Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas dismisses data analysis in football as 'useless'
- West Ham boss Sam Allardyce wary of £50million Gareth Bale ahead of Tottenham visit to Upton Park
- Match Report: Rafa Benitez looks spent after Yaya Touré and Carlos Tevez settle ‘El Cashico’
- Match Report: Newcastle United 4 Southampton 2
- Arsenal announce profit of £17.8m but figures reveal reliance on player sales
- From success and redemption abroad to disappointment: Steve McClaren leaves Twente
- Barcelona v Real Madrid: Copa Del Rey preview
- Inter Milan fined following racial abuse of Mario Balotelli
- Steve McClaren leaves FC Twente following poor run
- Another race row for Italian football: Mario Balotelli 'victim of racial abuse' in Milan derby
- Beckham finally makes his presence felt for Paris St-Germain after debut
- David Beckham fit enough to play 90 minutes for PSG, insists Carlo Ancelotti
- Lazio face stadium ban from UEFA amid allegations of racism
- Champions League 'festival' to be held next to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- David Beckham toasts Paris St Germain welcome after 'perfect debut' against Marseille
- Video: Dutch international Jeremain Lens in trouble after tunnel fight with Feyenoord defender Joris Mathijsen
- In pictures: Inter Milan vs AC Milan
- Gennaro Gattuso takes player-coach role at Swiss side FC Sion
- Jose Mourinho expects Xabi Alonso and Karim Benzema to return for Real Madrid's cup clash against Barcelona
- Serie A: Juventus extend lead at the top of the table
- La Liga: Falcao on the spot for Atletico Madrid as they maintain 100 per cent home record
- Steve McClaren quits FC Twente again
- Inter Milan fined for Mario Balotelli racist abuse
- 'Losing Michael Laudrup would be no big deal for Swansea'
- Match Report: Kasper Schmeichel's epic save helps launch Leicester revival against Blackburn
- Football League partnership with npower will not be renewed
- John Still drops into non-league to become Luton manager
- Adam Pearson distances himself from Leeds United takeover rumours
- Epic Journey ends in stroll for Swansea with League Cup triumph over Bradford City
- Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray takes inspiration from opponents Chelsea ahead of FA Cup tie
- Trophy hunger driving David Moyes as he bids for a tangible sign of success at Everton
- Michael Laudrup says League Cup victory eclipses any that he won as player
- 'Exchange' with unhappy John Terry has Rafael Benitez on back foot at Chelsea
- FA Cup: Everton v Oldham Athletic match preview
- Oldham wingers relishing FA Cup replay against Everton
- Swansea to welcome home Capital One Cup with bus parade through city centre
- Michu hopes Michael Laudrup says no to Chelsea and Real Madrid
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Fashion RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Food and Drink RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Health & Families RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Gadgets and Tech RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- 'Killer robots need to be stopped now, before it is too late' says Human Rights group
- Apple could pay out $100m to compensate parents whose children made inadvertent app purchases
- Would you buy a 'No internet. No video. No music' laptop?
- Nokia 105: Finnish company launches new £13 mobile phone with a battery that lasts 35 DAYS on a single charge
Motoring RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Art RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Music RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- David Bowie comes face to face with his younger self and Tilda Swinton in 'The Stars (Are Out Tonight)' video
- Adele and One Direction record mammoth digital 2012 album sales
- Robbie Williams attacks 'f***ing boring' awards in new single 'Brit Awards 2013'
- Music industry 'on the road to recovery' as it records growth for first time in 15 years
- Morrissey refuses to appear on US chat show with 'animal serial killers'
- Beyonce to headline at V Festival
- Number one charts spot for One Direction with 'One Way or Another'
- As long as you don't have your suit & tie: Kanye West criticises Justin Timberlake's new song on stage in London
- Oscars glory for 'Skyfall' adds gloss to Adele's continued world domination
- David Bowie album review - track by track: The Starman pulls off the greatest comeback album in rock'n'roll history with The Next Day
- Richard Thompson, Shepherd's Bush Empire, London
- Bloc Party, Earls Court, London
- Atoms for Peace, Oval Space, London
- Kid Koala, Scala, London
- Bellowhead, Fairfield Halls, Croydon
Classical RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Films RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Making Oscars history: Daniel Day-Lewis wins third best actor award
- Nicole Kidman: My desire as I get older is to play character roles
- Senate investigation into making of Zero Dark Thirty quietly dropped
- Seth MacFarlane credited with boosting TV ratings as 40 million tune into the Oscars 2013
- James McAvoy 'to star in The Crow remake'
- Oscars: And the award for Most Acerbic Tweet goes to...
- 'Inaccuracies' push Zero Dark Thirty out of the picture at the Oscars
- Was Oscar host Seth MacFarlane funny or inappropriate?
- Was Oscar host Seth MacFarlane funny or inappropriate?
- Oscars 2013: Adele and Paul Epworth's acceptance speeches for best original song
- The mother of all award ceremonies: Bradley Cooper and the other stars who brought their mums to the Oscars
- In pictures - From gurning to stumbling: embarrassing moments from the Oscars 2013
- And the award for Best Trip goes to...Jennifer Lawrence for falling up the stairs at the Oscars
- Best Oscars 2013 moments - in video
- Overflowing toilet floods Oscars venue minutes before ceremony begins
- Windex, plastic surgery vouchers, weight loss crockery, condoms...and more inside the $45,000 Oscars 2013 goodie bag
- Producer of Oscar-winning film escorted out of ceremony for throwing paper airplanes
- Alex Salmond hails success of Oscar-winning Scottish animation Brave
- Charlize Theron on 'freeing' new cropped hairstyle
- Oscars 2013: Ang Lee's best director acceptance speech for 'Life of Pi' in full
- Inocente makes history as first crowd-funded Oscar-winner
- Oscars 2013: Ben Affleck's acceptance speech for best picture 'Argo' in full
- Oscars 2013: Christoph Waltz's acceptance speech for best supporting actor in full
- 2013 Oscars: Anne Hathaway's acceptance speech for best supporting actress in full
- Oscars 2013: Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech for best actress in full
- Oscars 2013: Daniel Day-Lewis' acceptance speech for best actor in full
- From #lesnipplerables to #tripgate: Your 140 character reviews of the Oscars 2013
- First Lady scores a first at the Oscars: Michelle Obama presents Best Picture award
- In pictures: Oscar winners at the 85th Academy Awards
- And the Oscar goes to...the Life of Pi visual effects company filing for bankruptcy protection
- The Oscars 2013: Winners list in full
- The Machine-A boutique has emerging brands at its heart
- Oscars fashion: The red carpet verdict
TV & Radio RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Michael Jackson's teenage son Prince makes acting debut on TV show '90210'
- Lindsay Lohan to play Charlie Sheen's love interest in Anger Management
- The Review Show moved from BBC2 to BBC4
- Malcolm Tucker actor Peter Capaldi to feature in new TV series 'The Musketeers'
- Downton Abbey to 'open things up ethnically' with introduction of first black character
Theatre & Dance RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Books RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Property RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
i RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Why this father didn’t hide his daughter’s heroin overdose in her obituary
- 3 Smartphones are making children borderline autistic, says psychiatrist
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'