Day In a Page
Tuesday, 16 July 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Revealed: Ordinary laboratory animals are outnumbered by GM counterparts for first time
- Scientists switch off chromosome for first time, raising hope for possible Down's treatment
- Gas cloud 'stretched like spaghetti' by supermassive black hole
- New study shows how inflicting pain in religious festivals increases charitable giving
- 'Big nosed horned face': The literally named and slightly more unusual looking species of dinosaur discovered in Utah
- Government to spend £60m on revolutionary Sabre rocket engine that will be used on spaceplane Skylon
- Margaret Jackson: Personal assistant at the heart of the Special Operations Executive
- Richard Marlow: Charismatic and ground-breaking choral conductor
- Lives remembered: Jean Broughton
- Amar Bose: Pioneer of high-end audio technology
- Gwyn Hanssen Pigott: Potter whose work was acclaimed for its clarity and calmness
- Nadezhda Popova: Soviet pilot known as 'the Night Witch'
- Paul Feiler: Acclaimed painter and teacher whose work moved into geometric abstraction
- Lord Campbell of Alloway: Lawyer whose skills saved lives in Colditz
- Jim Foglesong: Country music producer and label executive
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The spirit of the Games lives on
- Let my three-year-old play - not sit exams
- Cameron wants to reform the NHS. But it was his government that handed over the levers
- Heatwave: Spring was freezing. Summer’s boiling. We’d better get used to these surprises
- It’s clear who should be running Egypt: this genius of a 12-year-old
- Gay Marriage Bill: This has been a wonderful day. I only wish the 14-year-old me could have seen it
- Gay marriage does not end discrimination
- An extra year in school would be great for the poorest pupils - if only they could afford it
- The military slogan ‘Train Hard, Fight Easy’ is more than just rhetoric – as the latest deaths show
- Teachers are only human - any school reform measures must take account of this
- Trident: Does Britain need a submarine-based nuclear missile system that will cost £100 billion?
- Britain, the EU and the Commonwealth
- Maria Miller and the Open: what kind of message do men-only golf clubs send out?
- The Keogh report leaves us asking - what is Government for?
- Tate Britain: If you patronise Lowry, you patronise generations of urban Britons
- Bernanke makes markets twitch but what counts is the economy
- Brangelina don't cut it, where’s the Richard Burton and Liz Taylor of today?
- IDS politically motivated? God forbid!
- The latest figures reveal it's time for the Home Office to end experiments on animals
- Polish parliament upholds ban on ritual slaughter - but it's nothing to do with Judaism
- Life on Marsden: I’m turning into the worst sort of middle-class snob
- Thanks British Airways, it's like I never went away
- Mishal Husain is joining the Today programme - but does it need a more radical overhaul?
- Packed lunches were a marker of class at school - banning them might bring children together
- Do we need Trident?
- The Queen legalises gay marriage - Twitter celebrates
- Apprentice final: the cockiest ever quotes
- Poll: Were Rolling Stone right to put Boston suspect Tsarnaev on the cover?
- Remember Essex Lion? Police called to body in Thames - which was actually a catfish
- Who said it: Pippa Middleton or Pippatips?
- Men-only golf: Shame on you, Muirfield
- Nelson Mandela: Not such a happy birthday
- Unemployment: Signs of recovery that leave too many behind
- Today programme shake up: Try to keep it short, Ms Husain
- As Snowden applies for temporary asylum, he becomes Mr Putin’s inconvenient guest
- The Keogh report: Don’t judge the NHS by its failures
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Tour de France 2013: Chris Froome accuses Alberto Contador after rivals collide on rapid descent
- Tour de France 2013: Stage 18 preview - video
- On The Road at the Tour de France: Chris Froome’s stage win on Mont Ventoux was electric
- Tour de France 2013: Why is it we love Sir Bradley Wiggins yet find current British Tour de France leader Chris Froome hard to warm to?
- Tour de France 2013: Stage 17 preview - video
- Tour de France 2013: Chris Froome furious over doping accusations - 'Lance Armstrong cheated. I’m not cheating. End of story'
- Ashes 2013: Andy Flower refuses to be critical of Stuart Broad for not walking
- Ashes 2013: Former coach Mickey Arthur threatens to disrupt Australia by suing over dismissal
- Ashes 2013: After a perfect start, the only problem is actually coming up with something to follow it...
- Ashes 2013: The complete package - how James Anderson became England’s go-to man
- Ashes 2013: Brad Haddin insists there is 'no feud' between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson
- Angus Fraser on the Ashes: Wouldn’t cricket be better off without DRS until the wrinkles are ironed out?
- Ashes 2013: Matt Prior - 'I asked Brad Haddin if he had edged it... he nodded'
- Adam Gilchrist: DRS would have denied us all that magical finish in 2005
- Ashes 2013: Michael Clarke called Shane Watson 'a cancer on the team' alleges fired Australia coach Mickey Arthur
- The Light Roller: Australia's top order woes may not be as easily fixed as Darren Lehmann appears to believe
- James Lawton on the Ashes 2013: James Anderson torments the Australians – then delivers the final thrust
- Ashes 2013: Umpires Aleem Dar and Kumar Dharmasena face rapid return to the front line
- Ian Bell on the Ashes 2013: Most of us just sat about eating Cornettos before that final session
- Round-Up: Warwickshire lose title hero Wright to injury for six months
- The Open 2013: Nick Faldo still stirring up controversy at Muirfield
- The Open 2013: Rory McIlroy makes clear his does not share Muirfield's attitude towards women members
- The Open 2013: Tiger Woods: I’m as good as I’ve ever been, but the opposition has improved
- The Open 2013: Graeme McDowell expects organisers to be 'a little bit evil' amid fine conditions
- The Open 2013: Phil Mickelson fancies double Scotch
- James Lawton: Can Justin Rose call on a little of Andy Murray's magic and make it successive majors at the Open?
- The Open 2013: Only the truly kingly need apply for the crown in East Lothian
- The Open 2013: Rory McIlroy paired with Phil Mickelson on opening days
- Olympics legacy: Has the spirit of the smiling Games Makers' army endured?
- Olympics legacy: Green enough to deserve environmental gold, but why so quiet?
- Olympics legacy: Did the Games succeed in rejuvenating East London?
- Olympics legacy: A long-term legacy takes a long time to grow, says Phil Sherwood
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- In pictures: HMS Queen Elizabeth (the Royal Navy's largest ship) nears completion
- Review round-up: Logic Pro X keeps the professionals happy
- Oculus Rift CEO wants to give away his VR headset for free
- Google Glass hacked by a simple QR code: New tech means new exploits
- OK Glass: The story behind Google's 'hotword' and the rejected alternatives
- Video: Urine-powered mobile phone charger lets you spend a penny to make a call
- US border authorities declare professional gamers 'athletes'
- Google, Microsoft and Yahoo target piracy sites by blocking ad revenue
- Rumours that Apple planned to buy 3D sensor specialists shot down
- Instagram's first ever movie trailer shows off Ashton Kutcher as Apple-founder Steve Jobs in biopic 'Jobs'
- Update: NASA aborts live-streamed space walk after helmet leak
- Apple sued for 'enabling porn addiction'
- Microsoft smart watch to be built by team behind Surface tablet
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Heatwave choice: Simon Calder chooses 10 British beaches for you to enjoy the sunshine
- Learn a new language: Holidays with English off the menu
- Deals of the week - Champagne, Canary Islands, Cathay Pacific
- Get me out of here - Cumbrian cottages, Marakech, Antigua
- The 10 Best beach gear
- Heatwave, what heatwave? Hanging out in Britain's coldest spots
- Transmitter suspected as cause of Dreamliner fire that brought Heathrow to a halt
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live