Day In a Page
Wednesday, 18 September 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Bubble brains: Scientists plot biological responses that broke the economy
- A leap into the unknown: Cloned eventing horse Tamarillo is groomed for success
- The truth IS out there (above Cheshire, that is): British scientists claim to have found proof of alien life
- The good news: Earth can support life for 1.75bn years. The bad news: Climate change could wipe us out first
- From fragrant to popcorn: US scientists identify 10 categories for smells
- At last: Science demonstrates the best way to get served at the bar
- Video: Rocket blasts off to ISS
- Help yourself by helping others: Nice guys and girls are sexier, study shows
- Winners of Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2013 revealed
- Ken Norton: World champion boxer who fought three epic battles against Muhammad Ali
- Brian Sollit: Chocolatier who created After Eights, Lion Bars, Matchmakers and the Yorkie
- Lord Hayhoe: Tory minister who became a critic of Mrs Thatcher
- Jimmy Fontana: Singer who worked with Ennio Morricone
- Michael Goulding: Flower arranger who served the Queen and nine prime ministers
- Rosa Maria Carless: Artist, writer and wife of a British diplomat
- Eiji Toyoda: Executive who helped create the 'Toyota Way' method of car-making
- Jackie Lomax: Singer and songwriter who became one of the first signings to Apple
- Chin Peng: Guerrilla who fought British rule in Malaysia
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Robert Fisk in Damascus: Assad's troops may be winning this war in Syria's capital - untouched by Obama's threats
- The Bedroom Tax: The Tories’ idea of fairness that could yet return to haunt them
- Portas was just another fall guy for the Government’s lack of ideas
- Syria: Something must be done – I mean, anything!
- Wine tasting: Sassy, smart, muscular, chewy...Or to put it another way, cheers!
- Don’t fret Stephen King, you are still capable of scaring audiences silly
- Italy needs this to be the end of Berlusconi
- This ban does not bode well for Britain's multicultural future
- Europe: confronting Thatcher's fallacy
- Our anger following the Washington Navy Yard shooting lacks the ferocity for change that followed Sandy Hook
- Tim Key: ‘At times I was playing Scrabble with such beauty, it became more like ballet’
- A welcome itself would be a welcome change at some theatres
- The rebels divide: Is this the new front in Syria's civil war?
- Where do you get off? We can't have good customer service at rock-bottom prices
- New York City housing: Is this the issue that will win the mayoral race for Bill de Blasio?
- Life at the front of the iPhone 5s queue
- The Concordia saga has shown Italy at its very best - and its worst
- Drunk tanks: Bearing in mind that £400 is quite a wedge, how will we extract it from the low-waged?
- New rules for the Booker? My inner reader cheers. My inner writer doesn’t
- A cup of coffee confirmed the homeless are neither pathetic nor dishonest
- Cherish nurses. They’re the heartbeat of the NHS
- Sorry, Sir David Attenborough. This isn’t the way to tackle over-population
- The Forgotten Crisis in the Central African Republic
- Stop and Search: Drugs and the aggravating factor of being black
- Judge the person, not the veil
- Free school meals are good, but healthy, well-served free school meals are even better
- I wear the niqab, let me speak on my own behalf
- Made in Knightsbridge: Are all these flash cars the sign of an economy in trouble?
- Being paid to lie down for NASA? Seven opportunities for wannabe astronauts
- Hiroshi Yamauchi: Tributes to the man behind Nintendo's greatest games
- World's ugliest vegetables: The funny pictures that show what's not on supermarket shelves
- iOS 7: The hype versus the reality
- iOS7: State of the art, or a bit of a letdown? Have your say
- Clegg Speech: What did Twitter make of the Lib Dem leader's keynote?
- 11 pieces of advice for Freshers
- Poll: Are ‘drunk tanks’ a good idea for Booze Britain?
- Want to know how Ed Miliband can avoid future Falkirks?
- The death toll in Syria continues to rise - whoever is doing the counting
- Russia oppose US threats to keep the Assad deal in place
- Optimism and gloom were balanced equally in this thoroughly odd gathering of the Lib Dems' disparate elements
- Is this the way to a Tamarillo? Dangers lurk under the hype of champion-horse clones
- Donald Macintyre's Sketch: Nick Clegg's harrowing journey back to the days when politicians were beastly to each other
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Tour of Britain: Mark Cavendish claims Stage Four win with thrilling sprint finish that sees Sir Bradley Wiggin retain the yellow jersey
- UCI president Pat McQuaid has done cycling untold harm, says challenger Brian Cookson
- Tour of Britain: Sir Bradley Wiggins retains overall lead as Irishman Sam Bennett wins stage five
- Video: Cyclist breaks speed record
- Brian Cookson is confident he's beating fear factor in UCI's race for the top
- Tour of Britain: Dominant Sir Bradley Wiggins signals his intent in time-trial win
- Durham coronation held up by Steve Mullaney's defiance
- Durham close to clinching title as keen Mustard makes amends
- Durham clinch County Championship title
- The Ashes: Stuart Broad rubbishes Darren Lehmann claims - and says England could have won series 5-0
- DRS in the dock again after ICC orders investigation
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Learn all about the boson - from Professor Higgs himself
- Increasingly clear lines: Now Leeds student union bans Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines'
- Oversubscribed Oxford Brookes puts students up in three-star hotel
- UK universities to offer free online courses
- Swing and a miss: US college removes pendulum sculpture after too many students try to recreate Miley Cyrus 'Wrecking Ball' video
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
- 1 Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler following death of batsman Phil Hughes
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school