Stern: global warming is happening at faster rate
Friday 30 November 2007
Global warming is happening at a far faster rate than the authoritative Stern Review on climate change suggested, its author, Sir Nicholas Stern said last night. He set out an action plan for the world's politicians who meet at a climate summit in Bali next week.
The Stern Review of the economics of global warming was, Sir Nicholas said, excessively conservative about factoring in a number of scientific hypotheses which growing evidence now suggests are serious factors in speeding global warming. "The evidence on the seriousness of the risks from inaction or delayed action is now overwhelming. We risk damages on a scale larger than the two world wars of the last century," he said.
"If I was doing it again I'd portray the risks as bigger," he said, taking questions at Manchester University after giving the Royal Economic Society lecture. He said his review may have under-estimated the costs involved in combating climate change.
He set out six points for Bali. Politicians must approve:
* 80 per cent reductions in global emissions by 2050;
* Better carbon-trading system;
* Major reform of Kyoto's Clean Development Mechanism;
* Anti-deforestation campaign;
* Rapid advance on technologies for electricity generation;
* 0.7 per cent GDP in aid from first to third world by 2015.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
The smartphone app that could save Britain’s bees
Greenland’s dark snow may start global warming ‘feedback loop’
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
Campaigners lobby Duchess of Cornwall to persuade her son-in-law to cease Knebworth solar farm
Climate change means rate of growth of trees has gone up by 77%
- 1 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 2 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Cocaine and cannabis haul hidden in Vatican car seized by French police
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£10000 - £20000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: Randstad Education Ltd...
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Promising volunteer Trustee op...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£110 - £130 per hour: Randstad Education Reading: Psychology Teacher needed fo...