Stern: global warming is happening at faster rate
Friday 30 November 2007
Global warming is happening at a far faster rate than the authoritative Stern Review on climate change suggested, its author, Sir Nicholas Stern said last night. He set out an action plan for the world's politicians who meet at a climate summit in Bali next week.
The Stern Review of the economics of global warming was, Sir Nicholas said, excessively conservative about factoring in a number of scientific hypotheses which growing evidence now suggests are serious factors in speeding global warming. "The evidence on the seriousness of the risks from inaction or delayed action is now overwhelming. We risk damages on a scale larger than the two world wars of the last century," he said.
"If I was doing it again I'd portray the risks as bigger," he said, taking questions at Manchester University after giving the Royal Economic Society lecture. He said his review may have under-estimated the costs involved in combating climate change.
He set out six points for Bali. Politicians must approve:
* 80 per cent reductions in global emissions by 2050;
* Better carbon-trading system;
* Major reform of Kyoto's Clean Development Mechanism;
* Anti-deforestation campaign;
* Rapid advance on technologies for electricity generation;
* 0.7 per cent GDP in aid from first to third world by 2015.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
- 1 World Cup 2014: 20 things we learned in Brazil
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 World Cup 2014: Robin van Persie gives his bronze medal to eccentric Netherlands fan moments after being handed it by Sepp Blatter
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
£70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Information Security Manager (ISO 27001, A...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Integration...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + ex bens: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Biztalk Te...