Why I Love: A free ride
Simon Starling, conceptual artist
Sunday 19 April 2009
After my partner had our second child six months ago we bought a Christiania bicycle. It is an amazing three-wheel bicycle with a large bucket on the front which can carry anything – luggage, food shopping, several kids.
The design originates from Christiania, the commune in Copenhagen, and it was designed in the 1970s, although I first saw it around a decade ago. We've replaced the family car with it and it has made my life much easier: I don't have to park it, I don't have to pay road tax and, on top of all that, it keeps me fit. I do the food shopping with it and take the kids to kindergarten. It's a fantastic thing.
I've sometimes seen four or five kids in the bucket, but that's quite extreme – it can be hard work getting up a hill. Have I had any hairy moments? Not yet, but you don't want to go down a hill too fast.
For information: www.christianiabikes.com.
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...