£5.5m to save England's most threatened species
Schemes to protect natterjack toads, fritillary butterflies and sharks are to receive funding as part of a £5.5 million programme to help some of England's most threatened wildlife, it was announced today.
Birds including cirl buntings and twites will also benefit from the cash, as will wetlands landscapes in various parts of the country and marine species in the Isle of Scilly, Natural England said.
The Government's conservation agency will also fund projects which aim to preserve traditional orchards and moves to restore hedgerows in a bid to help hazel dormice.
The multi-million pound programme aims to help some of England's most threatened species and habitats in a bid to halt the loss of biodiversity, Natural England said.
The money will go to conservation groups including the RSPB, National Trust, Wildlife Trusts and the People's Trust for Endangered Species to carry out the schemes to protect wildlife.
Natural England chairman Sir Martin Doughty said: "We want to improve the fortunes of some of our most precious species and habitats and today's funding will help our conservation partners meet these challenges.
"Cirl buntins, cornflowers, crayfish, orchards and a wide range of other habitats and species including our marine environment will benefit from this extra funding."
The money will go to a series of projects including:
* Conservation of the natterjack toad in Cumbria, where around half of England's populations exist in increasingly isolated pockets along the coast. The Herpetological Conservation Trust will receive £92,000 to help conservation work.
* The RSPB will receive £600,000 for projects across the country, including a cirl bunting reintroduction scheme in the South West and a programme to assist recovery of the twite population in the Pennines.
* A project led by the National Trust will receive £267,000 to conserve and restore traditional orchards - one of the habitats prioritised for conservation under the UK Biodiversity Action Plan.
* The People's Trust for Endangered Species will receive £180,000 for work to restore hedgerows in a bid to reconnect isolated populations of hazel dormice and reverse the two-thirds decline in the species seen since the 1970s.
Leftover coffee 'can help fight global warming'
Almost every seabird 'will have eaten plastic by 2050' because of ocean pollution
Pope Francis calls for a new system of global government to tackle climate change
Farmers in tropical forests are training ants to kill off bigger pests
Big Six energy companies have 'quietly abandoned their green electricity tariffs'
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A leading provider of document ...
£17000 - £17800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to work ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a digital speci...
£40000 - £45000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Operation...