Endangered birds set spirits soaring
Saturday 31 December 2011
Corn buntings gather on a set-aside field near Devizes in Wiltshire.
The sight of a healthy flock of "fat" corn buntings has got ornithologists all a flutter as it gives fresh hope to the dying breed. Numbers of the bird have plunged to just 10,000 over the past 40 years and they are an endangered species.
A Natural England scheme to pay farmers to improve their environment has seen their numbers rise.
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
At long last, Australia is able to halt the relentless advance of the cane toad
How we must adjust our lifestyles to nature: Welcome to the 'Anthropocene', the human epoch
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
China's wild panda numbers have increased by 17% since 2003, new census reveals
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...