Lioness kills zoo keeper at South African farm
Wednesday 15 February 2012
A zoo keeper was killed when a lioness pounced on him after security gates at Johannesburg Zoo's conservation farm were apparently left open.
Colleagues heard Joe Ramonetha, 63, screaming on Monday and rushed to help but it was too late, a spokeswoman said. He was declared dead on arrival at hospital.
Mr Ramonetha, who had four children, had worked at the zoo since 1970. He had either been feeding the 11-year-old lioness or cleaning out her enclosure at the farm in Parys, about 75 miles from Johannesburg, when the accident happened.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...