Mind how ewe go: the sheep-eating killer plant that’s ready to bloom
A sheep-eating plant is set to bloom over the next few days in a Surrey garden. In its natural habitat of the Andes, the 3m-tall Puya chilensis snares the animals in its razor-sharp spines, leaving them to perish and decay at its base – like a bag of fertiliser.
Very few specimens have been known to flower in the UK, causing much excitement over the enormous neon bright, greeny-yellow flowers that it produces, with giant blooms containing enough nectar for a person to drink. The plant is also increasingly rare in its native Chile, where shepherds set them alight to protect their flocks.
Cara Smith, from the Royal Horticultural Society’s Wisley Garden, where the plant is growing, said: “We keep it well fed with liquid fertiliser, as feeding it on its natural diet might prove a bit problematic.”
Kanye West storms off stage after two songs over technical problems
They're gay, they grieve and they're left-handed...
Revealed: the bid to corner world's bluefin tuna market
The 10 best folding bikes
The world's rubbish dump: a tip that stretches from Hawaii to Japan
10 best hiking boots
A last chance to save Australia’s Great Barrier Reef: Scientists launch audacious plan to create ‘fertility clinic’ to breed endangered coral
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Lambeth night bus attack: 26-year-old arrested after gang of laughing men kick woman unconscious following argument over her dress
- 3 Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
- 4 One day ‘coming out’ won't be a thing - and the reaction to Tom Daley's announcement shows we're getting there
- 5 Breaking Bad inspires parents to name their children after drug dealers instead of royals
£1 per day + TBC: Randstad Education Reading: Qualified Teacher of Computing &...
£1 per annum + TBC: Randstad Education Reading: Qualified Teacher needed for p...
£1 per annum + TBA: Randstad Education Reading: Qualified Teacher needed for p...
£30000 - £45000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Senior Property Manager My client is ...