No Essex Lion – but there really is a deadly snake
Friday 31 August 2012
One of the world's deadliest snakes was discovered lurking inside a shipping container that had passed through a port in Essex.
The 18in saw-scaled viper had been hidden in the container at Tilbury Docks for several weeks during a voyage from India.
The species is highly aggressive and venomous.
Although not the world's most poisonous, the viper is seen as one of South Asia's deadliest because it is often found close to inhabited areas.
The snake was reported to the South Essex Wildlife Hospital, which sent in a reptile expert to recover the creature. The viper, which can grow to 3ft, will be looked after at the hospital until a suitable home can be found for it.
The top 10 weirdest animal mating rituals
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
A spotter's guide to a wild orchid summer
El Nino weather phenomenon will strike this year, Met Office warns
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP SD OTC Consultant | 12 Months | 500/...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + substantial benefits: Ashdown Group: Business Syst...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Campaign Man...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A Global Financial Service Organ...