No Essex Lion – but there really is a deadly snake
Friday 31 August 2012
One of the world's deadliest snakes was discovered lurking inside a shipping container that had passed through a port in Essex.
The 18in saw-scaled viper had been hidden in the container at Tilbury Docks for several weeks during a voyage from India.
The species is highly aggressive and venomous.
Although not the world's most poisonous, the viper is seen as one of South Asia's deadliest because it is often found close to inhabited areas.
The snake was reported to the South Essex Wildlife Hospital, which sent in a reptile expert to recover the creature. The viper, which can grow to 3ft, will be looked after at the hospital until a suitable home can be found for it.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...