Olympic clean-up is complete, says Environment Agency
Monday 06 February 2012
Work to clean up the Olympic site and create the largest urban park in Europe for more than 100 years has been completed, the Environment Agency said yesterday.
An area the size of 297 football pitches, much of which was polluted, has been cleaned up. About 300,000 wetland plants and 2,000 native trees have been planted and five miles of the River Lea restored. The Environment Agency said it had helped decontaminate two million tonnes of soil.
Leftover coffee 'can help fight global warming'
Gulf Stream is slowing down faster than ever, scientists say
Frilled shark: Australian fishermen capture terrifying shark from the deep
Pope Francis calls for a new system of global government to tackle climate change
Earth has 'lost more than half its trees' since humans first started cutting them down
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 YouTube video shows woman verbally abusing takeaway staff 'because they used green peppers'
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...