Picture of the day: The one that got away
A tricolored heron is photographed attempting to catch a tiny fish from the clean waters off the southern tip of the Louisiana coast, 75 miles south of New Orleans.
Though often seen in Central America, the Caribbean and parts of Brazil and Peru, these herons come to breed in the Mississippi delta, where the great river disgorges into the ocean. It is these lands that are now under threat as oil from the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion has begun to drift ashore.
The small fishing community of Venice, where this picture was taken, is the last outpost along the Mississippi accessible by road, earning it the nickname "the end of the world". It was an irony not lost its human residents five years ago when Hurricane Katrina blew in from the gulf and destroyed their homes. Few have come back. Now Louisiana's herons may also be forced to depart.
Photograph by Charlie Riedel/AP
From the blogs
There are more empty shops on our high streets than ever before, says another report into the state ...
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
- 1 Terror at Woolwich barracks: Attacker tried to behead and disembowel British soldier
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.