US tusk smuggling operation cracked
Wednesday 27 July 2011
A tonne of elephant tusks worth about $1m (£600,000) has been found in one of the largest ivory seizures in the US, and the owner of an African art store has been arrested on suspicion of smuggling them into the country.
Victor Gordon is suspected of having paid an accomplice to buy elephant ivory in west and central Africa, to carve items and to stain them to make them look older. He has denied conspiracy and smuggling.
Hundreds of tusks were seized from properties in New York, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Kansas. "The amount of the elephant ivory allegedly plundered in this case is staggering and highlights the seriousness of the charged crimes," said Loretta Lynch, a district attorney in New York.
The ivory trade has devastated elephant numbers in Africa. In the Democratic Republic of Congo, the population has fallen to 12,000- 15,000, from 400,000 30 years ago.
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...