'Vital' for big firms to help Earth
Sir David Attenborough has called on big businesses to help protect the natural world from the rapidly expanding human population.
The broadcaster said the increase is unstoppable and that action must be taken to stop the natural world from being paved over.
Distancing himself from conservationists who regard big business as the enemy, he said companies and corporations, as the holders of much of the world's wealth, have a vital and leading role to play. "It's not a mystery. Wealth empowers," he said.
"And businesses have by no means been slow in helping. We've gone to multi-nationals over and over again."
Sir David, speaking at a charity event, said the UK has used up all its land and must make effective use of what it has, such as redeveloping brownfield sites.
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...