Some food retailers rated as the word's greenest companies
Sunday 29 November 2009
Some of 15 most eco-friendly retailers in the world include a few well-known grocery stores and are listed in a new report naming the most environmentally committed companies. They include: H-E-B (United States), Tesco (Britain), Woolworths (Australia), Monoprix (France), Carrefour (France) and Walmart (Canada).
After reviewing more than 200 "green" retailers in all sectors, researchers from Canada, Scotland, Japan, Spain, and France selected the best companies based on their written environmental policies, which included evaluations of the companies' environmental impact and measurements of the effects of environmental practices on the companies' profits.
Some of the common threads included:
- A strong commitment and passion from the CEO or senior management that the company must reduce its impact on the environment.
- Using external advisors to help develop an eco-friendly strategy.
- A sound environmental plan and strategy for a healthy return on investment.
- Head office and store staff who have environmental responsibilities.
Some of the food retailers' sustainability initiatives include:
- UK retail giant Tesco is taking new measures to assess its carbon footprint across its operations and plans to cut its CO2 emissions by half by 2012.
- Plans are underway at Texas grocery chain H-E-B to upgrade energy sytems (like refrigeration) throughout its stores and to power some of them with wind energy.
- French retailers Carrefour and Monoprix have both launched extensive campaigns to assess the environmental impacts of many of their product lines as well as to encourage the purchase of "eco-labels."
The full report is published Ryerson University's Center for the Study of Commercial Activity (CSCA).
Plastic rubbish heaps at sea pose bigger threat to Earth than climate change, claims ocean expert
We must protect our oceans, says seven seas swimmer Lewis Pugh
The 10 best commuter bikes
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
Potatoes could be off the menu as crop pests threaten UK
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 It's not just the savagery of Isis that is shocking – its weaponry is too
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...