World tackles peril of the bovine burps
Save the planet – stop cows burping. Unlikely as that sounds, it's a serious scientific mission.
Cattle around the world produce huge amounts of methane, a powerful gas, which accounts for about a fifth of the greenhouse effect.
The methane cows belch out every day floats into the stratosphere to join carbon dioxide and other gases holding in the Sun's reflected heat and causing the Earth's temperature to soar, with potentially disastrous effects. But researchers at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen say they are close to producing a bovine belch-inhibitor.
It is a combination of sugars and a novel oxidising bacterium. The scientists believe that, when added to cows' feed, the new substance might reduce the gaseous emissions substantially.
Let's hope so. Bad breath is one thing. Wrecking the atmosphere for us all is another.
Feed ducks frozen peas instead of stale bread, charity asks
Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars
Boiling ourselves to death: Temperatures on Earth hit another record high, here’s the projected effect on humans
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
Have you heard 'the hum'? Mystery of Earth's low droning noise could now be solved
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 'Paracetamol Challenge': Police and teachers issue warning to parents over social media craze
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
£30 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software / Web Developer (PHP / MYSQL) i...
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive is needed to join one...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software Developer / Software Engineer i...
Voluntary and unpaid, reasonable expenses are reimbursable: Reach Volunteering...