Angela Lewis on pop
Friday 04 October 1996
Six years on, the nucleus of the band is the same. Spencer yelps and squawks up front, Judah Bauer is on guitar and Russell Simins does the wild thing on drums. But the new album also boasts collaborations with seasoned Memphis star, Rufus Thomas, Doo Rag's Thermos Malling and Beastie Boys' keyboards thumper of post-modern excellence, Money Mark Ramos Nishita. It's not the old-meets-new, sound-clash classic Spencer was obviously aiming for with a cool roll-call like that, but it does set the pelvis a-quiver at times.
Live, Spencer is a giddy, shaking Jerry Lee Lewis wannabe, all copybook wobbly knees and southern Baptist church hysterics. But hell, in an Anglo pop scene infested with frontmen who've attended the Noel Gallagher School of Stage Presence, this is a blessed relief. And we shouldn't want it any other way.
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Bristol Fleece & Firkin (0117 927 7150) Sat; London Astoria (0171 434 0403) Sun
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years