Iain Gale on exhibitions
Friday 28 June 1996
It is hardly surprising that a number of the pictures should seem like old friends. Here is Girl in a Green Dress Freud's early 1953 exploration of isolation. Here, too, are the startling Girl with Roses from the British Council Collection and Reflection (self-portrait) of 1985. But the show also contains some lesser-known works, and it is these, together with its overall succinctness, which are its chief attractions. Several works have been lent by Freud's great patron, the Duke of Devonshire, while others have come from obscure and unaccredited sources. Look out in particular for Box of Apples, in Wales, painted in 1939 at the tender age of 17, and other early pieces. There is also a nice, small study from the Sixties of the photographer John Deakin, himself the subject of a recent exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. If you thought you knew all about what Freud has to offer, then think again and make the trip to Cumbria. You will not be disappointed.
Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kendall, Cumbria 01539 722464 until 8 Sept
Left: detail from Lucian Freud's 'Girl Sitting in the Attic Doorway', 1995
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship