John Lyttle on film
Friday 07 June 1996
Still, it's hard to care. There are too many treats, jokes, stunts and gross FX along the way.
Here's Quentin Tarantino sprouting fangs (weirdly enough, they suit him) and being held in place to be staked alive: very pre-video-nasty flap.
There's Mexico's top female star, Salma Hayek, wearing not very much at all, doing a hooch dance (with a big snake, right) to rival Grace Jones a'creepin' and a'crawlin' in Vamp: she's the perfect performer to be top of the bill at a place called the Twisted Titty (she's also the perfect performer to tell George Clooney "Welcome to slavery").
And speaking of twisted, how many flicks offer the punter a guitar made from a human torso? Or a bullet-spitting codpiece?
Or allows Fred Williamson to deliver the most absurd Vietnam vet speech yet to grace the screen?
Or gives you a shot of Juliette Lewis's feet so up close and personal that you can count the hairs on her toes?
Frankly, how can the recently reactivated Kubrick compete? It's the mood of the moment: big, tired junky genre pics played fast and furious and funny, transforming audiences' low expectations into a shared joke. From Dusk Till Dawn drains its own blood - which might be its contribution to cinema's vampire lore, after all.
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- < Previous
- Next >