pick of the week: GREYHOUND DERBY
Friday 28 June 1996
The country was going to the dogs long before Blur's Damon Albarn revealed his penchant for greyhounds, and today, callow, mockney pretenders can rub shoulders with old-school sheepskinned enthusiasts for one of the high spots of the canine calendar (above). For the best views, head for the Stadium Grandstand. But if you fancy reclining in comfort, repair to the Diamond Room for a pint and a flutter. Races last around 28 seconds, as the Kate Mosses of the dog world break from their traps and dash after those rabbit rags in a bid for doggy glory.
Wimbledon Stadium, Plough Lane, London SW17 (0181-946 8000) first race 6.50pm, final race 10pm, pounds 10
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Day In a Page