Ryan Gilbey on film
Friday 30 August 1996
But then people will do anything won't they? People will put Bryan Adams at number one for 16 weeks. People will erect tents on pavements ready for the sales to start. People will do Mexican waves for heaven's sake. People are not to be trusted. This is not to damn Independence Day, which has had critical as well as public approbation. Or to complain that those people with their windcheaters and groundsheets in Leicester Square were necessarily dim. It's just to say that Christmas and summer can leave you positively concussed. It's the silly season, when profit subsumes all else and we are expected to bow at the altar of saturation advertising. The figures speak for themselves all right: they trumpet what's really important to the people in power, loud and clear.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it