The Independent Mind Olympics
Friday 09 August 1996
Questions set by Maslanka.
Illustration: Mike Harrington.
1 Show how an equilateral triangular biscuit can be cut by three straight sabre slashes into:
a) 4 identical pieces each with 3 sides; b) 3 identical pieces each having 4 sides; c) 3 identical pieces with 3 sides; d) 6 identical pieces with 3 sides each.
(Of course, you may only cut downwards in the vertical plane at right angles to the biscuit's surface.)
2 A fly walks across the top face of the biscuit starting at one edge (not a corner) and crossing to another. Not only that, but her path is the shortest that exactly bisects the area of the biscuit. Sketch her path.
3 Ten per cent of the inhabitants of Cacti Creek drink vodka, 20 per cent drink gin and 40 per cent drink beer. Two toughies drink all three but no-one drinks just two of these drinks. There are 61 characters so tough that they can stand up to social pressure and drink nothing at all. How many live in Cacti Creek?
4 The assistant at Gullible Gulch's General Stores has bored holes through an array of indutrial sized sugar cubes, removing a whole number of cubes to leave the same cross-shaped hole running through the cube, no matter which of the six faces you look at. What is the smallest number of cubes he could have removed?
5. R wl slkv blf szev vmqlbvw gsv Rmwvkvmwvmg Nrmw Lobnkrxh. Ru blf szev, kovzhv dirgv zg gsv vmw lu blfi zmhdvih: "R szev vmqlbvw gsv Rmwvkvmwvmg Nrmw Lobnkrxh". Yfg mlg rm xlwv, lu xlfihv! - Nzhozmpz
When you have solved all five puzzles, send the answers to: Mind Olympics (Final Day), the Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL to arrive not later than 16 August.
Books for independent individuals at
"Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you." Satchel Paige, baseball pitcher.
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127