The Independent Mind Olympics
Friday 09 August 1996
Questions set by Maslanka.
Illustration: Mike Harrington.
1 Show how an equilateral triangular biscuit can be cut by three straight sabre slashes into:
a) 4 identical pieces each with 3 sides; b) 3 identical pieces each having 4 sides; c) 3 identical pieces with 3 sides; d) 6 identical pieces with 3 sides each.
(Of course, you may only cut downwards in the vertical plane at right angles to the biscuit's surface.)
2 A fly walks across the top face of the biscuit starting at one edge (not a corner) and crossing to another. Not only that, but her path is the shortest that exactly bisects the area of the biscuit. Sketch her path.
3 Ten per cent of the inhabitants of Cacti Creek drink vodka, 20 per cent drink gin and 40 per cent drink beer. Two toughies drink all three but no-one drinks just two of these drinks. There are 61 characters so tough that they can stand up to social pressure and drink nothing at all. How many live in Cacti Creek?
4 The assistant at Gullible Gulch's General Stores has bored holes through an array of indutrial sized sugar cubes, removing a whole number of cubes to leave the same cross-shaped hole running through the cube, no matter which of the six faces you look at. What is the smallest number of cubes he could have removed?
5. R wl slkv blf szev vmqlbvw gsv Rmwvkvmwvmg Nrmw Lobnkrxh. Ru blf szev, kovzhv dirgv zg gsv vmw lu blfi zmhdvih: "R szev vmqlbvw gsv Rmwvkvmwvmg Nrmw Lobnkrxh". Yfg mlg rm xlwv, lu xlfihv! - Nzhozmpz
When you have solved all five puzzles, send the answers to: Mind Olympics (Final Day), the Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL to arrive not later than 16 August.
Books for independent individuals at
"Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you." Satchel Paige, baseball pitcher.
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 4 The most powerful passports in the world
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years