week in week out
Friday 07 June 1996
Saturday German composer Schumann was born in 1810; after injuring his hand in his finger-strengthening contraption, he was forced to give up his day job as a pianist.
Sunday In 1549 The Book of Common Prayer became the authorised version throughout England and a 400-year bestseller. In 1934 Donald Duck was hatched in The Little White Hen, with voice-over by Clarence Nash, who had wanted to be a doctor but instead became the biggest quack in the country. Geoffrey Pattie, (Conservative, Chertsey) was the first MP to be heard in the 1975 radio coverage of Parliament.
Monday Oxford won the first Boat Race, held in 1829 near Henley - although recently they were, according to the Cambridge Vice-Chancellor, lucky to come second. Well, for ***** sake - in 1986 Irish citizen Bob Geldof was made a honorary knight.
Tuesday In 1952 Denis Compton hit his 100th century. Gala Dali, wife of surrealist Salvador, died in 1982; he had always sworn that he would eat her if she went to the Great Studio in the Sky first - but he was on a diet at the time.
Wednesday Happy camper Sir Billy Butlin, who brought the first dodgem cars to his Jungle Amusement Park in Skegness, died in 1980.
Thursday In 1988 Maria Kalinina won the first controversial "Miss Moscow" competition; the prizes included a tele-vision set.
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers