week in week out
Friday 07 June 1996
Saturday German composer Schumann was born in 1810; after injuring his hand in his finger-strengthening contraption, he was forced to give up his day job as a pianist.
Sunday In 1549 The Book of Common Prayer became the authorised version throughout England and a 400-year bestseller. In 1934 Donald Duck was hatched in The Little White Hen, with voice-over by Clarence Nash, who had wanted to be a doctor but instead became the biggest quack in the country. Geoffrey Pattie, (Conservative, Chertsey) was the first MP to be heard in the 1975 radio coverage of Parliament.
Monday Oxford won the first Boat Race, held in 1829 near Henley - although recently they were, according to the Cambridge Vice-Chancellor, lucky to come second. Well, for ***** sake - in 1986 Irish citizen Bob Geldof was made a honorary knight.
Tuesday In 1952 Denis Compton hit his 100th century. Gala Dali, wife of surrealist Salvador, died in 1982; he had always sworn that he would eat her if she went to the Great Studio in the Sky first - but he was on a diet at the time.
Wednesday Happy camper Sir Billy Butlin, who brought the first dodgem cars to his Jungle Amusement Park in Skegness, died in 1980.
Thursday In 1988 Maria Kalinina won the first controversial "Miss Moscow" competition; the prizes included a tele-vision set.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'