The 10 Best Christmas presents for arts lovers
From Damien Hirst umbrellas to David Bowie totes, we have a great selection of quirky present for culture vultures
1. Damien Hirst umbrella
Bright and beautiful, whatever the weather.
2. Finger puppets
Bust out your voices while waggling Austen, Warhol et al.
3. Faber & Faber poetry diary 2014
Plan your year out with rhythm and rhyme.
£12.98, Waterstones stores nationwide, faber.co.uk
4. David Bowie tote
Go out with a star on your arm.
5. Literary brooches
Cut-out animals made with pages from books.
from £12, theliterarygiftcompany.com
6. ‘The Wicker Man’ 40th anniversary edition
Re-released with a restored final cut, plus interviews.
7. Everybody Dies tea towel
A graphic depiction of how Shakespeare characters meet their end.
8. Folio edition of ‘Brave New World’
Huxley’s dystopia gets an Art Deco-style make-over.
9. Ghost Stories for Christmas box set
Six-DVD BFI collection of festive chillers.
10. ‘The Phaidon Archive of Graphic Design’
From typefaces to posters.
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Refugees welcome: More than 250,000 sign Independent petition calling for Britain to 'take its fair share'
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan