Best digital cameras of 2013: the Sony Alpha A7, Fujifilm X20 and Canon's EOS 100D
Wednesday 18 December 2013
This was the year that the Compact System Camera became mainstream. Compact System Cameras, also called mirrorless, are cameras with the high-quality build, big sensor and interchangeable lenses found on a DSLR but without the mirrors that give that category its name and save size and weight into the bargain.
The standout is the brand-new Sony Alpha A7 with a sensor the size of a 35mm frame and a 24MP resolution. At £1299 for the body it’s not cheap, but it’s pretty amazing.
Sony Alpha A7
Advanced compacts also had a good year, including the 12MP Fujifilm X20 with its beautiful retro styling, powerful features and simple interface. It’s a real joy to use and delivers results effortlessly. Sony’s small HX50 is also impressive, squeezing a 30x zoom in and featuring a 20MP sensor.
If you really want a proper DSLR, Canon’s EOS 100D is the smallest and lightest around. It has an 18MP sensor and is very simple to use – a great step up from compact to advanced camera.
Canon EOS 100D
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist