10 best cross-body handbags
Go hands-free with a bag that is perfect for festival season and for keeping valuables close
Linda Sharkey has been an online journalist at The Independent since 2011. She is involved in different areas across the website and is currently the editor of our latest tool, Independent Plus. As the fashionista of the team, she looks after our Fashion section. Linda also shares her style on her pesonal blog www.fashioninsideout.co.uk
Wednesday 04 June 2014
With summer comes festival season and even if you’re not off to a muddy field, there will still be lots of other outdoor dos. You’ll need a bag that will fit all your little essentials without weighing you down and that you don’t have to lug around on your arm.
A cross-body bag is the ideal hands-free solution and there are loads of styles in the shops. We’ve scouted out a selection of satchels and other perfectly proportioned bags; from something super-casual like Asos’s pineapple number to Juicy Couture’s glam Sierra, we hope there is something you fancy to see you through the fun times.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For a timeless leather bag that will last and go with everything, we like Jack Wills Milby. It’s small, but a cool option if you want to travel light. For something a bit roomier, Laura Ashley’s satchel has space to stash stuff to enable some outfit changes. If you want to go designer, try Marc by Marc Jacobs for a standout piece.
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service