13 best make-up palettes
Whether you're after bold eye colours, subtle, shimmery shadows or multi-purpose products in one compact, we find a palette for the job
Thursday 03 July 2014
I've had a life-long love-affair with the palette and my heart still skips a beat when I open up a new compact and discover row upon row of beautiful shades.
My first one was packed with unwearable 80s pale blues and pinks in dry hard chalky formulas. Thankfully things have progressed since 1989 and modern eyeshadows are so easy to blend - Beauty Bay have the softest shadows I've found in a long time. And many now contain detailed diagrams and instructions on which shade to apply where - Too Faced palettes have seriously raised the bar with their how-to leaflet inserts.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Smashbox have come up trumps with a beautiful selection of 14 easy-to-wear shades, but it's the step-by-step from day-to-night looks on six different eye shapes that is brilliant. Autograph's value for money but ultra-glam palette is a steal – a whopping 24 shades for £15. But for sheer glamour and luxury, Bobbi Brown's Surf & Sand palettes are unbeatable.
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Chilling drone footage captures Auschwitz ahead of 70th anniversary of liberation
- 5 Narendra Modi: Indian Prime Minister wears suit with pinstripes that spell his name to meet Barack Obama