Christmas Gift Guide: Presents for Her
Fret not - there’s still plenty of time to find something special to put under the tree, says Rebecca Gonsalves
“Christmas is all around us,” as Bill Nighy’s aged rocker sardonically informs viewers of Love Actually. But even if some smug shoppers have the festive season all sewn up, it can be daunting picking the perfect present for the fashion-lover in your life.
We know money can’t buy love, but surely it can purchase a bit of comfort and joy, not least in the form of super-soft cashmere. You may have forgotten how long and cold the season was last year, but believe me, it’s long and cold. The receiver of your bounty will no doubt be grateful for being able to cuddle up in something cosy.
The use of neon and colour ranges from subtle to statement, while cartoonish animals add a dash of frivolity to even the most mundane of purchases. Harvey Nichols’ tongue-in-cheek “Sorry I spent it on myself” range of essentials provides the perfect gag gift, but the sentiment that most people opt for at this time of year is one of extravagance and indulgence.
A gift is something special, to be treasured forever – or if not, it should at least come with a gift receipt.
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government