Splash proof: 10 best umbrellas
Want to make a splash on the street as the heavens continue to open? With our selection of brollies, you’ll be right as rain
Tuesday 18 February 2014
This winter has been one of the wettest since records began - no wonder umbrella sales are soaring. But whether you want a traditional walking umbrella or a collapsible compact one to slip in your bag, how can you avoid ending up with one that blows inside out at first use?
From Hunter’s see-through Bubble to the quirky Cern design from the Science Museum, we’ve identified the best out there that will keep you dry in the next deluge.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: For something both stylish and durable, the Joules Walker Brolly is a great bet, while Totes Automatic Classic Wood Crook Umbrella is a brilliant all-rounder. For a compact umbrella with hidden depths, the Fulton Open & Close Jumbo is hard to beat.
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka