6 best Christmas ales 2013
Whether you’re a seasoned ale aficionado, a total novice or just looking for an extra special stocking filler, we’ve compiled a list the most delicious and diverse beers to buy this Christmas
1. Hit the Fairy Lights 4.6%, Weird Beard Brewery Co.
Brewed with oranges and star anise, this festive pale ale can be enjoyed with any winter dish. It is a lighter version of the West London brewery’s Hit The Lights, and the strong bitter finish works perfectly with the initial refreshingly fruity aroma.
£3.20 for 500ml bottle, realale.com
2. Rosey Nosey 4.7%, Bateman’s Brewery
This copper-coloured ale is bursting with all the warm, fruity flavours of Christmas. With the additional blend of crystal and chocolate Norfolk malts, this one is a great accompaniment to mince pies.
£1.99 for 500ml, morrisons.com
3. Otter Claus 5%, Otter Brewery
There is nothing like a deep brown, malty ale at Christmas time. Otter Brewery’s festive beer is comforting and cosy with well-balanced flavours and a hint of chocolate.
£2.28 for 500ml, waitrose.com
4. Christmas Ale 7%, Shepherd Neame
Brought to us by Britain’s oldest brewer, this 7% amber ale offers the perfect dose of spice and fruit to warm anyone’s cockles on a cold winter night. It is great value for money too.
£2.69 for 500ml, tesco.com
5. Christmas Eve 4.4%, Batemans Brewery
With its earthy finish, this cinnamon-scented beer from Batemans Brewery in Lincolnshire is perfect for Christmas parties and seasonal suppers. It is a dark copper-coloured number, brimming with flavour, and it comes in at a great price too.
£1.99, 500ml bottle, morrisons.com
6. Christmas Paradox 15%, Brewdog
Okay, so this isn’t technically ale, but we couldn’t have a list of occasion beers that didn’t include something from Brewdog. If the success of their two 2013 Christmas ales is anything to go by (they had completely sold out of both by the end of November), their signature imperial stout Christmas Paradox is definitely also worth a try. After 12 months maturing in rum casks, this dark, spicy-sweet beer is just waiting to tantalise your taste buds.
£9.99 for 330ml, brewdog.com
For more IndyBest food and drinks picks for Christmas:
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- < Previous
- Next >