10 best cookbooks for students
Off to uni or know a teen who is? Third-year student Rosie Shields cooks up a storm to find the titles freshers should get on their kitchen shelves
Sunday 24 August 2014
Going off to university is, for many students, the first time they've had to fend for themselves in the kitchen. While knocking up meals can be a daunting task, a good book can make all the difference between a mess-in-a-pan and a veritable feast.
We've spoken to current students to find the tomes they've found the most useful; from books for culinary novices on a budget to specialist gluten-free and vegan publications and books for competent cooks, we've found what we hope are a helpful selection.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For a book that will see students through from their first boiled egg to impressive dinner party dishes, we think it's worth splashing out on Delia Smith's complete How to Cook. Those on a budget can't go wrong with Joy May's Nosh for Students and veggies and vegans will find plenty of appetising dishes in Aine Carlin's Keep it Vegan.
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish independence results live: Reunited kingdom - Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 Scottish referendum results: David Cameron set to unveil major devolution of powers to England
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair