Celebrate: 10 best kids' birthday cakes
From a bespoke chocolatey fire engine to a rainbow-coloured sponge packed with sweets, we tasted (helped by some mini testers) a range of cake to find the tastiest creations for children’s parties this summer
Sunday 13 July 2014
No kids’ birthday is complete without a cake. But not every parent likes baking and many don’t have the time to make one anyway. If you fall into either category, our round up will help you decide which ready-made cakes are worth buying.
We got our little testers on the case, they tried a range of sweet treats; from Sainsbury’s good-value bake for DIY-decorating up to Harrods’ seriously decadent bespoke creations. Whether you’re strapped for cash or money is no object – and whether your child is a small toddler or strapping teenager - we have it covered.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: For sheer wow factor (even on the inside of the cake), our vote goes to the Fortnum & Mason Pinata Celebration Cake. For a budget option, we like the Sainsbury’s Decorate Your Own Cake, which gives parents a chance to provide their own personal touch.
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'