Drink up: 10 best gins
From Spanish Mediterranean flavours to complex wild berry tastes culled from the Black Forest of Germany, this selection of spirits should serve everyone from young hipster to gentleman’s club fogey
Spring has sprung, the mercury is starting to rise and it’s time to do the drinks cabinet shuffle: put away your bottle of whisky and crack open the gin.
Whether you like it over ice with oceans of tonic or in a martini that is drier than the desert, you’re sure to find a bottle here that will tickle your taste buds.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
It is strange that people assume that all gins, unlike, say, whiskies, taste pretty much the same. There is, in fact, a world of difference between competing brands. Gin Mare, for instance, with all its rich Mediterranean botanicals, is just thing for a nice G&T; whereas, if I wanted a martini, I would crack open the Sipsmiths. A good all-rounder to keep in your cupboard, though, is Broker’s: it is inexpensive, punchy and comes with a little bowler-hat top – what more could one ask for?
10. Hendricks, £27
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters