Drink up: 10 best gins
From Spanish Mediterranean flavours to complex wild berry tastes culled from the Black Forest of Germany, this selection of spirits should serve everyone from young hipster to gentleman’s club fogey
Spring has sprung, the mercury is starting to rise and it’s time to do the drinks cabinet shuffle: put away your bottle of whisky and crack open the gin.
Whether you like it over ice with oceans of tonic or in a martini that is drier than the desert, you’re sure to find a bottle here that will tickle your taste buds.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
It is strange that people assume that all gins, unlike, say, whiskies, taste pretty much the same. There is, in fact, a world of difference between competing brands. Gin Mare, for instance, with all its rich Mediterranean botanicals, is just thing for a nice G&T; whereas, if I wanted a martini, I would crack open the Sipsmiths. A good all-rounder to keep in your cupboard, though, is Broker’s: it is inexpensive, punchy and comes with a little bowler-hat top – what more could one ask for?
10. Hendricks, £27
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'