Drink up: 10 best gins
From Spanish Mediterranean flavours to complex wild berry tastes culled from the Black Forest of Germany, this selection of spirits should serve everyone from young hipster to gentleman’s club fogey
Spring has sprung, the mercury is starting to rise and it’s time to do the drinks cabinet shuffle: put away your bottle of whisky and crack open the gin.
Whether you like it over ice with oceans of tonic or in a martini that is drier than the desert, you’re sure to find a bottle here that will tickle your taste buds.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
It is strange that people assume that all gins, unlike, say, whiskies, taste pretty much the same. There is, in fact, a world of difference between competing brands. Gin Mare, for instance, with all its rich Mediterranean botanicals, is just thing for a nice G&T; whereas, if I wanted a martini, I would crack open the Sipsmiths. A good all-rounder to keep in your cupboard, though, is Broker’s: it is inexpensive, punchy and comes with a little bowler-hat top – what more could one ask for?
10. Hendricks, £27
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 5 Medina: Saudis take a bulldozer to Islam's history
- < Previous
- Next >