Easter excellence: 10 best hot cross buns
We can’t wait until Good Friday to feast on these fruity, doughy treats. Just add butter
Sunday 16 March 2014
Sweet, yeast-leavened buns have always been associated with Easter, with the central white cross symbolising the Crucifixion. But hot cross buns, as they are now known as, are so tasty that us Brits seem to be starting on these seasonal treats earlier and earlier each year.
Problem is that unless you make them yourself, they can be bland, small, pale or dry – or all four. But help is at hand. From Aldi to Harrods, we’ve tasted them all to bring you the best of the buns.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Tesco Finest is a clear winner this year. Perfectly rounded, with plenty of plump fruit and superb spices, they are literally divine. Betty’s comes in at a close second place, with their impressively large hot cross bun that is packed with the kind of top-notch ingredients that this family run Yorkshire bakery has become so famous for.
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more