Fairtrade Fortnight 2014: 10 best foods
To celebrate the start of Fairtrade Fortnight we round up the newest and tastiest ethically produced fare on the shelves
Sunday 23 February 2014
It’s Fairtrade Fortnight, a time of year when events take place across the UK to highlight the difference Fairtrade makes to farmers and workers in developing countries.
Now, there are more than 4,500 Fairtrade products – everything from pineapples and peanuts to gold, silver and platinum. There are 1,149 Fairtrade producer organisations in 70 countries.
The focus of this year’s campaign is bananas – the UK’s favourite fruit – which are now being sold so cheaply by most supermarkets that many farmers and workers who produce them are being trapped in a cycle of poverty. Alongside a bag of bananas, we've picked some of the best and widest ranging Fairtrade products, from the delicious Cocoa Loco Champagne Truffles to the longstanding favourite Clipper Everyday Tea Bags.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: Wine is one of the fastest growing areas of Fairtrade and we think the Zebra View Chenin Blanc is outstanding value for a great tasting, versatile wine. Café Direct Coffee Pods also stands out, if only because this is the first 100 per cent Fairtrade brand to launch into pods.
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'