Fairtrade Fortnight 2014: 10 best foods
To celebrate the start of Fairtrade Fortnight we round up the newest and tastiest ethically produced fare on the shelves
Sunday 23 February 2014
It’s Fairtrade Fortnight, a time of year when events take place across the UK to highlight the difference Fairtrade makes to farmers and workers in developing countries.
Now, there are more than 4,500 Fairtrade products – everything from pineapples and peanuts to gold, silver and platinum. There are 1,149 Fairtrade producer organisations in 70 countries.
The focus of this year’s campaign is bananas – the UK’s favourite fruit – which are now being sold so cheaply by most supermarkets that many farmers and workers who produce them are being trapped in a cycle of poverty. Alongside a bag of bananas, we've picked some of the best and widest ranging Fairtrade products, from the delicious Cocoa Loco Champagne Truffles to the longstanding favourite Clipper Everyday Tea Bags.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Verdict: Wine is one of the fastest growing areas of Fairtrade and we think the Zebra View Chenin Blanc is outstanding value for a great tasting, versatile wine. Café Direct Coffee Pods also stands out, if only because this is the first 100 per cent Fairtrade brand to launch into pods.
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice