Food fast: 10 best ready meals under 500 calories
Too tired to cook? On a healthy-eating drive? Try one of these tasty, low calorie ready meals
When it comes to ready meals, low calorie no longer has to equal anemic and flavourless. These days, there are a variety of delicious, innovative and nutritious dishes on the shelves, that all come in at under 500 calories.
We've scoured the supermarket shelves to find the best out there. From surprisingly hearty winter warmers like Marks & Spencer's venison meatballs with braised cabbage and mash, to one pots meals ideal for eating on the go like Incredible! Chicken & Wild Rice.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For a meal that tastes like you’ve spent hours in your kitchen cooking, try the sticky pulled pork and sweet potato mash from the My Goodness range at Sainsbury’s. Or for a quick lunch or dinner that's full of flavour, go for the Soulful Food OnePots from Ocado. Anyone who needs to keep nut, dairy and gluten free should look up County Durham-based Ilumi.
1. Sainsbury’s My Goodness! Sticky Pulled Pork and Sweet Potato Mash, £3 (buy in store)
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 One Direction: Louis Tomlinson launching his own record label, has already 'signed two acts'