The 50 best delicatessens
Forget limp sandwiches and bought-in chutneys, a great deli is the home of mouth-watering meats, artisan cheeses and perfect pastries. Lucy Gillmore tastes the difference
This week's panel
Clare Hargreaves writes a monthly section on seasonal and local food for BBC ‘Good Food’, and is food editor of BBC ‘Countryfile’ magazine ( www.countryfile.com);
Donald Reid is the editor of ‘The Larder’ ( www.thelarder.net);
Nicola Whiteford is the editor of ‘Great British Food’ ( www.greatbritish foodmagazine.com);
Alice Murray is the events manager at Slow Food UK ( www.slowfood.org.uk)
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.