6 best compact system cameras
Monday 02 June 2014
Compact System Cameras (CSCs), also called mirrorless, are the new big thing for keen photographers.
The absence of the mirror means they are smaller and lighter than SLRs, too. Most, but not all, use sensors called APS-C or Micro Four Thirds. All are way bigger than in compact cameras, so picture quality is much improved, too. One camera here uses an even bigger sensor, called full-frame. Generally, bigger is better and sensor size is arguably more important than pixel count.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
For value, the Nikon 1 S2 is excellent, though you do have to manage without a viewfinder. As a viewfinder addict, I found this less troublesome than I expected and the S2 is a great first CSC. But more advanced photographers, or users sliding across from an SLR, the Sony Alpha A7 with its enormous full-frame sensor, has a lot to offer. The Olympus is particularly strong when it comes to light weight and small size – and no slouch in the image department. Both Fujifilm cameras look sensational and the X-T1 is very hard to beat. Unless you want amazing UHD video recording, in which case the Panasonic is the winner: knockout for video and as strong as the Fujifilm X-T1 for stills pictures.
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help