Point and shoot: 6 best compact cameras
Sometimes the camera on your smartphone just won't cut it. Try these point and shoot models for superior snaps this summer
Friday 02 May 2014
If your holidays are beckoning, check you have what you need to capture great pictures and videos of the best bits.
Mobile phones have pretty accomplished cameras on board, so much so that you may feel you don’t need a second gadget to lug around. But smartphones (apart from one or two exceptions) lack optical zoom lenses so you’re reliant on digital zoom, which reduces resolution horribly. So, we've tried and tested the best compact cameras on the market this year. Here’s our guide to the snappers worth packing.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
There are plenty of things to consider when choosing a camera to take on your holiday. Do you want something cheap and cute that will do stuff your phone can’t? If so, the Samsung DV150F is hard to beat. If you want something more powerful that is as easy to use as an Android smartphone, then Samsung’s Galaxy Camera 2 is capable and has a great camera interface. And if you’re going on a beach or skiing holiday, then maybe you should go for a waterproof model like the Nikon. Our favourite? The stunningly designed Fujifilm Finepix X20 thanks to its great lens, big sensor and fool-proof setup.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women