5 best TV sound systems
Whether you want a cinema-like experience at home or to get your TV and sitting room ready for this summer's World Cup, these soundbars and speakers will make an impact
Wednesday 23 April 2014
Flatscreen TVs can offer remarkable picture quality but the sound often doesn't match up.
Luckily, there are gadgets that can help. Soundbars and surround sound systems have beefy, powerful audio. Add them and suddenly that blockbuster movie or match will feel like it’s happening around you. Soundbars sit in front of you, but bounce the TV’s audio off the walls to create the illusion of all-round speakers. And surround sound adds actual speakers to sit behind the sofa. You’ll need to check that your TV has an HDMI connection (nearly all flatscreens do) and in some cases, like the Sonos, an optical cable. Again, most recent TVs offer this. We've tried and tested a range of options.
Here are the best systems worth hearing.
Click on the gallery for the IndyBest buys
There’s no need to suffer poor sound as you watch a movie or immerse yourself in a football match. The more elaborate systems here are really outstanding, and the Sonos matches great sound quality with exceptional simplicity. Real speakers win out over virtual ones every time – no surprise – and the results from a big system like the Sony are impressive. But if you don’t fancy cables and speakers everywhere, the Denon is a clever solution that takes up almost no space.
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats