Fast food: The 10 best microwaves
Made a new year’s resolution to cook more? You’ll need a reliable machine to heat up all those leftovers. Kate Hilpern rounds up the best
Wednesday 08 January 2014
These days microwaves can grill and even steam alongside the conventional heating and defrosting. They're a handy bit of machinery to have in your kitchen, whether you're warming up some delicious leftovers, fixing yourself a nutritious baked potato, or grilling some bacon for a morning sarnie.
Performance is key and microwaves have a bad rep historically for producing frazzled, dry food. So we tested a range of machines, trusting them with our dinners to see which came out on top. There are all-singing and all-dancing versions from the top of the market like Miele’s sleek Generation 6000 Contourline down to Swan’s great value, more basic machine.
Curry's Logik microwave does a great job for the price whereas, if you have more money to spare, Whirlpool JetChef 369 is difficult to beat in terms of performance and is particularly good for those with many mouths to feed. If we're going on looks without breaking the bank (and a good performance, obviously), we liked Next's funky machine.
Click on the gallery to see the IndyBest buys
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations