The 10 Best electric toothbrushes
Make your twice-daily brushing routine less of a chore – and more effective – with this all-singing, all-dancing dental kit
Monday 08 April 2013
1. Waterpik Complete Care, £115, amazon
This comprehensive bit of kit looks more like something you’d see at the dentist’s than in a home bathroom. But with an advanced water flosser and sonic toothbrush, it is a great way to get your dental hygiene up to scratch. The toothbrush has a two-minute timer.
2. Summer Infant Gentle Vibrations, £9, tesco
Start them young with this massager and toothbrush that’s suitable from birth. There are two heads and a mirror so you can find each tooth, as well as gently massage your baby’s sore gums during teething.
3. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean, £125, johnlewis
No wonder so many dentists recommend this. It removes five times more plaque than a manual toothbrush, thanks to the sonic vibrations and a cleaning action that drives fluid between teeth. It also whitens teeth in a week and improves gum health.
4. Boots Expert 8000 Rechargable, £13, boots
Electric toothbrushes don’t get better value than this. With a built-in timer, 8000 side-to-side oscillations per minute and a particularly comfortable grip handle, you can’t really go wrong. The battery lasts only about five days, but you can just recharge it.
5. Philips FlexCare+, £225, johnlewis
New to electric tooth brushing? This has an easy-start programme, which gently increases power over the first 14 uses. There’s a two-minute timer to help ensure recommended brushing times and five different modes of cleaning – powerful clean, sensitive, refresh, massage and gum care.
6. Panasonic Compact Travel, £17, amazon
For something so small (it’s only 16cm), this certainly has a lot of oomph, with 16,000 brush strokes per minute. It’s also foldable and quiet and the battery lasts three months, all of which results in it being ideal for frequent travellers.
7. Oral-B Triumph 5000, £75, amazon
This will give you plenty to smile about, not least because it’s the only toothbrush to have a platinum rating for plaque removal from the British Dental Health Foundation. There are auditory, visual and sensory signals to help you perfect your brushing and an indicator to tell you the brush head needs replacing.
8. Oral-B TriZone 1000, £70, johnlewis
Research shows that 75 per cent of people brush their teeth incorrectly, but you can’t go wrong with this powerful brush that can be used in whatever style you want, including scrubbing or circulating. As its name suggests, there are three zones to the brush to help ensure no areas are missed.
9. Braun Stages Power, £19, amazon
Make teeth-cleaning fun for children with these character-themed brushes that have a timer to help keep them going for two minutes and extra soft bristles. There’s a raised row of blue bristles to help clean chewing surfaces.
10. Colgate ProClinical A1500, £70, amazon
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers