Buen viaje: 10 best South America travel books
Whether you’re trekking to Machu Picchu or taking in the sun - and football – in Rio, take your pick from these inspirational and useful reads, chosen by Stanfords, the travel information specialists
With the World Cup in Brazil this year and the Olympic Games happening in Rio in 2016, South America's largest country, along with the rest of the continent, is firmly in the spotlight - and top of many travellers' lists.
For anyone planning a trip to the diverse and fascinating land, Stanfords, known for their huge range of travel books and maps, have stepped in to recommend the most absorbing and useful guides, travelogues and novels.
From Footprint’s South American Handbook for backpackers on a shoestring, to Death in the Andes, Mario Vargas Llosa’s captivating tale of murder and mystery at 4000 metres, there’s a book on the list for every adventurer.
Click on the gallery below to see the IndyBest buys
Michael Palin’s Brazil, written in his inimitable style, is a fascinating look at the country we’ll be hearing a lot from in the next few years. Backpackers can’t go wrong with the Footprint guide, and for a literary look at an important time in Chile’s recent past, Isobel Allende’s The House of the Spirits is an ideal place to start.
Trekking in Peru, Bradt, £12.99 (published February)
Off on a trip? 10 best travel wallets and belts
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats