The Saturday quiz
Saturday 31 July 2010
1. In 1953 which revolutionary formed the 26th July Movement?
2. When, in 1967, a Times leading article responded to the jailing of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by asking, "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?", which 18th-century poet was it quoting?
3. Dietrich Buxtehude (c1637-1707) is best known as a composer for which instrument?
4. In the US, the second Monday in October is known as which day?
5. They are white, red, black, and pale-green, and they symbolise pestilence, war, famine and death. What are they?
6. Robert Leroy Parker and Harry Longbaugh were the inspiration for the eponymous heroes of which hugely successful 1969 film?
7. Craig McDermott was the first in 1992 and Pragyan Ojha the last in 2010. What?
8. How does the name of Henry F Phillips, a US businessman born in Portland in 1890, live on?
9. Which British rock star, born in 1972, has a son called Lennon?
10. The Lodge is the official residence of the prime minister of which country?
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday
New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it