The Saturday quiz
Saturday 31 July 2010
1. In 1953 which revolutionary formed the 26th July Movement?
2. When, in 1967, a Times leading article responded to the jailing of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by asking, "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?", which 18th-century poet was it quoting?
3. Dietrich Buxtehude (c1637-1707) is best known as a composer for which instrument?
4. In the US, the second Monday in October is known as which day?
5. They are white, red, black, and pale-green, and they symbolise pestilence, war, famine and death. What are they?
6. Robert Leroy Parker and Harry Longbaugh were the inspiration for the eponymous heroes of which hugely successful 1969 film?
7. Craig McDermott was the first in 1992 and Pragyan Ojha the last in 2010. What?
8. How does the name of Henry F Phillips, a US businessman born in Portland in 1890, live on?
9. Which British rock star, born in 1972, has a son called Lennon?
10. The Lodge is the official residence of the prime minister of which country?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests