The Saturday quiz
Saturday 31 July 2010
1. In 1953 which revolutionary formed the 26th July Movement?
2. When, in 1967, a Times leading article responded to the jailing of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by asking, "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?", which 18th-century poet was it quoting?
3. Dietrich Buxtehude (c1637-1707) is best known as a composer for which instrument?
4. In the US, the second Monday in October is known as which day?
5. They are white, red, black, and pale-green, and they symbolise pestilence, war, famine and death. What are they?
6. Robert Leroy Parker and Harry Longbaugh were the inspiration for the eponymous heroes of which hugely successful 1969 film?
7. Craig McDermott was the first in 1992 and Pragyan Ojha the last in 2010. What?
8. How does the name of Henry F Phillips, a US businessman born in Portland in 1890, live on?
9. Which British rock star, born in 1972, has a son called Lennon?
10. The Lodge is the official residence of the prime minister of which country?
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Of all the computers Apple has ever made there’s only one that Steve Jobs had to sell his car to finance
Actress sees off speculation about her face in an amazing way
Marvel has released first teaser trailer week early after it leaked online
The sound of Goodfellas mafioso Frankie Carbone demanding $250m in “damages” would be chilling enough on film, let alone in real life.
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure' for paralysis