The Saturday quiz
Saturday 31 July 2010
1. In 1953 which revolutionary formed the 26th July Movement?
2. When, in 1967, a Times leading article responded to the jailing of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by asking, "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?", which 18th-century poet was it quoting?
3. Dietrich Buxtehude (c1637-1707) is best known as a composer for which instrument?
4. In the US, the second Monday in October is known as which day?
5. They are white, red, black, and pale-green, and they symbolise pestilence, war, famine and death. What are they?
6. Robert Leroy Parker and Harry Longbaugh were the inspiration for the eponymous heroes of which hugely successful 1969 film?
7. Craig McDermott was the first in 1992 and Pragyan Ojha the last in 2010. What?
8. How does the name of Henry F Phillips, a US businessman born in Portland in 1890, live on?
9. Which British rock star, born in 1972, has a son called Lennon?
10. The Lodge is the official residence of the prime minister of which country?
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film