1. "Movies should have a beginning, a middle and an end, but not necessarily in that order." The words of which French film director?
2. What expression, much quoted since, was Samuel Pepys (right) especially fond of using when signing off a diary entry?
3. Storyville is a district in which US city?
4. In 1991, protests were staged over the switching from an afternoon slot to a morning slot of which radio programme?
5. Which is the only inanimate sign of the Zodiac?
6. Which leading 17th-century Englishman wanted his portrait painted "warts and all"?
7. Founded in 1923, it has its headquarters in Lyon, and with a membership of 188 countries is the second-largest inter-governmental organisation after the United Nations. Which organisation?
8. Which newspaper carried a front-page headline in 1938 confidently predicting that "Britain will not be involved in a European war this year, or next year either"?
9. Which national sports team is known as the Black Ferns?
10. Athens, Tyre, Venice, Verona, Windsor. What's the connection?