1. Laurence Sterne, Laurie Lee, Compton Mackenzie, Noël Coward. What's the connection?
2. The Gulf Between (1917) marks what cinema first?
3. It was published in 1779, with words by John Newton, and is reckoned to be performed millions of times a year. What?
4. Which artist (1887-1976) lived and worked for 40 years at 117 Station Road, Pendlebury?
5. The Wadden Sea is an area within which bigger, better-known sea?
6. Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic were two of this leading early Nineties band's members. Who was the third?
7. Which football ground takes its name from the bushes that had to be cleared to create it in 1900?
8. In 1996, which BBC drama prop was the subject of a patent dispute with the Metropolitan Police?
9. According to Voltaire, the execution of Admiral John Byng in 1757 served what purpose?
10. In its original meaning, hagiography was writing on what subjects?