The Saturday Quiz
1. A conscientious objector, which leading British artist spent his National Service years (1957-59) working as a medical orderly?
2. Which was the first ship to have a swimming pool?
3. Which British actress (born 1965) referred to those outside her profession as 'civilians'?
4. What place in recent American history does the Emma E Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, Florida have?
5. On the advice of his manager, which rock musician (born 1943) dropped a letter off the end of his surname, only to reinstate it later?
6. Which classic of English literature, published in 1889, charts a trip between Kingston and Oxford?
7. In 1997, what became the first major daily newspaper to implement a paywall?
8. Nick Leeson brought down which bank?
9. Which leading composer (1865-1957) wrote seven symphonies and many other works but produced no large-scale music during the last 30 years of his life?
10. The tallest statue of Christ in the world, unveiled in 2010, is in which European country?
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines