The Saturday Quiz
1. England rugby union coach; played with The Beatles on "Get Back"; naval hero; comedian born Eric Bartholomew. What's the connection?
2. What work of reference was founded by Colin Macfarquhar and Andrew Bell in 1768, and produced in 15 editions that spanned the next 242 years?
3. Now a life peer – Baroness [...] of Crosby – in 1950 she became the first woman chair of the Oxford University Labour Club. Who is she?
4. H&M started life in 1947 in which European country?
5. Which central London district is named after a Roman citizen who, in about 304AD, at the age of 14, was beheaded for his Christian faith?
6. How did members of the Algonquin Round Table refer to themselves?
7. Shining Path is a Maoist rebel group operating in which South American country?
8. Who, in a poem in 1894, coined the phrase "the love that dare not speak its name"?
9. How many different varieties of Quality Street chocolates are there?
10. Old Trafford, August 1990; Mirpur, March 2012. What?
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film