The Saturday Quiz
From the blogs
Dr Ron Schultz, professor and chair of pathological sciences at The University of Wisconsin, joined ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
The UK Independence Party is on 19 per cent, the highest share recorded by any pollster, in a ComRes...
I know Dan Lepard nabbed it first for his wonderful book on baking but I’m eternally jealous, as it ...
1. The first modern Olympic Games, in Athens in 1896, featured nine sports. What were they?
2. What time is it on Big Ben in the symbol for the 1948 Olympic Games?
3. Which triple Olympic gold-medal winner died of epilepsy in 1998 at the age of 38?
4. At which Games was Steve Redgrave when he said, "If anyone finds me close to a rowing boat ever again they have my permission to shoot me"?
5. Who threw his Olympic gold medal into the Ohio river?
6. Which winner of five Olympic gold medals in the 1920s has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
7. Henri Didon, a French Dominican preacher who lived from 1840-1900, made what contribution to the Olympic movement?
8. Eight gold medals – the first in 1928, the most recent in 1980. Which country and which team sport?
9. Which 1968 gold medal-winner was told by a rival, "You have destroyed this event"?
10. The first Paralympic Games took place in which decade?
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Boxing: Carl Froch slams fellow Brits for sparring with Mikkel Kessler
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.