The Saturday Quiz
1. How is Belgian writer Georges Remi (1907-1983) better known?
2. Destroyed portrait of Winston Churchill; one-time face of Miss Ultimo; early 20th-C England cricket captain. The connection?
3. Waterford to Gatwick in 1985. The first what?
4. The name of which type of takeaway/packed meal translates from the original as 'convenience'?
5. Which are there more of – London Underground stations or Paris Metro stations?
6. In 1980, Crotched Mountain in New Hampshire became the site of the world's first what?
7. Which machine – the title of a 1995 novel that became a 2001 film – was invented by German engineer Albert Scherbius at the end of the First World War?
8. Six players tied for top scorer at Euro 2012 with three goals each; who got the Golden Boot?
9. At the end of the 20th century which was the most populous American city that had been founded in that century?
10. Which fictional character in children's literature first appeared in 1958 and hails from 'deepest, darkest Peru'?
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding